[asterisk-users] How big is *your* dialplan??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Oct 13 06:38:22 MST 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 22:29, Michael Collins wrote:
> Andrew, it sounds like you've been working telecom for a while!

Industrial power electronics, actually, but yes I have about a decade of
"small potatoes" (PRI, singular DS3s) telecom under my belt as well.

Nothing drove this point home harder than when our M13 died.  It has a spare
DS2 card and a spare controller card.  The primary controller card died, and
the second never worked.  So our entire DS3 went down.  There wasn't a
fucking thing we could do.

UPS lost the express-shipped controller card from California.  Another day of
total downtime.

Once the liquid poop phase of the stress passed we have hardware sitting
around.  Hot failover isn't quite as necessary for us, but having *something*
we can throw in to get even partial service is absolutely necessary.

(we now run multiple DS3s directly into MaxTNTs so there is no need for the
SPOF M13 anymore, and we can easily reroute calls for different POPs to other
POPs if we have a major failure somewhere.)

-A.