[asterisk-users] How big is *your* dialplan??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Oct 12 05:41:12 MST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 17:56, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> I have no data to prove it, but isn't the time between failures on this
> type of TDM PBX equipment far better than a commodity server? Do they have
> any moving parts? A server has moving parts, and moving parts fail.

Norstar's voicemail system uses a hard drive.  Their agent and queuing system
runs an embedded OS/2 PC.  They used to have a Flash-based voicemail system
but they've phased that out years ago.

Also keep in mind that if you buy the cheapest PC equipment you're likely
going to run into trouble, just as you predict.  However I have servers here
(not brand-name expensive stuff either, just decent components) which have
uptimes higher than my Norstar KSU, which tends to lose a trunk card every
year or so.

> We have our servers power supplies sourced from different plants, with a
> generator etc, but we aren't an SMB. :)

Yes, but not everyone plans quite the way you do.  :-)

-A.