[asterisk-users] How big is *your* dialplan??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Oct 12 05:38:30 MST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:16, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Are you serious? Would you really just wait until a system looked like it
> was on shaky ground before deciding to build a new one? What about if some
> other component failed? What about the myriad of other failures you didn't
> think of ahead of time? Do you really think that it's ok for a system that
> hosts less than 50-60 users to be unavailable while a new system is built?
> We're talking about VOICE service here, not someones email access. People
> can do without email for a period of time but they are very sensitive to a
> lack of dialtone.

How many small to medium businesses do you know with redundant Meridian
hardware on the shelf?  Hell, how many small to medium businesses do you know
that have their KSU or PBX on a UPS?

> Btw, I showed this email to a senior telecom guy here in the office.
> Initially his eyes widened, and then he laughed and said he'd certainly
> never get you to build his telecom infrastructure.

I'd love to see a senior telecom guy in a small to medium business.  His eyes
would fall out of his head and he'd be escorted out of the building laughing.

I completely understand your need for redundancy, but most places that
Asterisk is being installed in to don't have that kind of redundancy in place
in the first place.

-A.