[asterisk-users] How big is *your* ego?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Wed Oct 11 19:00:52 MST 2006

C F wrote:

> OK, I'll agree with you that I'm looking at a point of view from
> Enterprise lever and not carrier level, BTW, NFAS for redundancy is in
> most cases a waste of money (again enterprise POV), since if one T1 is
> down usually all of them from the same provider will be down.

You must have dealt with cruddy providers in your time. Ever hear of a
smart jack just being bad on one T1 while others work fine. I have. For
matters of redundancy I would hope some would have looked into a Shadow
T. Heck most *newer* (so called) engineers haven't even heard the term.

> The fact that they you have multiple IP-SIP/PSTN gateways should not
> imply that you can't have 16k extens on all of them.

Why can't you. While it might not be practical, doesn't mean you can't/

> I agree that if an asterisk box dies (I don't know how such a thing in
> a well controlled stable system will happen, but I guess with a bug in
> an agi it could happen, then that will be another reason not to use
> AGIs for me) you need another one to take over, but again why would it
> die to begin with?

Oh please, I can kill Asterisk (all versions) with 13 packets. Re-read
that statement. 13 packets. All versions. Digium staffers know this.
Throw it behind your SBC, take your pick nCite, Newport Networks,
Acme, Nextone.

> What other component could or fails out of the blue? Surge protection
> with even a cheap UPS will protect from lightening.

No it won't. I've had plenty of burnouts using Rhino channel banks that
were behind APC's InfraStruXure line of product.s

> Motherboards in a
> well regulated maintained system that is ventilated good, don't just
> die.

They don't? Funny, I've seen it happen from everything from AMD, Sun,
HP, SGI, you name it.

> Hard drives should be installed in an array (have you ever heard
> of RAID). CPUs when the heat is taken care of, don't just die.

Oh really? Sounds like you live in hardware Nirvana. How long have you
been in the computing environment?

> Memory if the right motherboard is used,
> and you have more than one bank, it will just isolate the bad bank.

Will it?

oct 10 21:37:30 sunw,ultrasparc-iie: [id 521363 kern.warning]
    warning: [aft1] uncorrectable memory error on cpu0 data access at
    tl=0, errid 0x00014e44.b98167c1

Funny, that seems to reboot the entire machine. I thought in your
Nirvana it would be isolated. How many architectures outside of a
simple i386 arena have you PROFESSIONALLY administrated? (Dell
Optiplex's don't count nor do Poweredge)

> So I ask you, what component could fail in a way that it should take
> more than an hour to bring it back up?

I suggest you send the list information on all of your vendors so
we could all move to this fairy tale land of computer heaven.

> BTW, I'm not looking for a job. I wouldn't work for your boss anyhow,
> and the senior guy working with you, judging from you, he doesn't seem
> to be good at judging people.

Blah to the rest of your post. You make little sense. As for looking for
a job. Send a resume down my way, I need something to keep the coffee
from spilling on my Pix' and Netscreens.