[asterisk-users] How big is *your* dialplan??

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 18:47:29 MST 2006

On 10/11/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On which topic: do *you* know who to call and what to tell them to get
> your lead DID forwarded to your cell phone when your span (or switch)
> goes down?

Actually, Jay, sure don't.  I don't know what the answer to that would be.
Wish I did, and wish it was cheaply available.  That's one area that VoIP
providers have an advantage.  If all else, I could probably plug even a
Grandstream into another network and connect up to take phone calls, using
strictly VoIP.  Again, I'm talking small here, nothing even remotely
enterprise related.  I've been asked this question with regards to our
system, and my answer has been we can't afford that level of redundancy.  We
use XO for our PRI, whether they could temporarily forward our number in the
event of a disaster, I don't know.  I'm looking at the possibility of using
their VoIP service to connect to Asterisk.  In that case, then yes, I could
use their control panel to forward to my cell phone.  As far as I can tell,
our Asterisk server still has to be on their network, so moving our server
to another location with an Internet connection probably would not help.
I'm more worried about disaster situations than component failure.  Last
year's hurricane season, and our scare with Rita in the Houston area
prompted a lot of reevaulations (we're right on Galveston Bay, a hurricane
will produce 16 ft surge, we're about 5 ft above sea level, we're history if
one hits).