[asterisk-users] Re: NFAS Not Passing Audio on B-chan 48,72,96

mavince at optonline.net mavince at optonline.net
Wed Oct 11 18:14:50 MST 2006

Your profile shows that you are running 5ESS custom PRI. Is that what your service provider told you to run? The reason I ask is that the 5ESS can run "custom" or NI-2. I mention this is that the lack of RESTART or RESTART ACK messages isn't telling the service provider's switch that the 24th B channel on the respective T1 is "Out of Service" at the Asterisk end.

Also, I'll look at the exact RESTART messages that Asterisk sends.... Technically, if the Asterisk does not RESTART or RESTART ACK the channel, the far end switch at your service provider should not put those channels in service. Under the worst case, you'll need to ask your service provider to busy out each 24th B  channel ...that's ugly, but it will stop calls from being presented on those channels. Earlier versions of the NI protocol (pre 1998) totally ignored maintenance messages.... T1 up, D-channel up.... that means all channels in service..... but that is not always true... that why the RESTART or SERVICE messages are used.

I'm setting this up in my lab tomorrow... I'll be using a Digium card but I can look at both ends of the circuit.

Mark
mavince at optonline.net