[asterisk-users] How big is *your* dialplan??

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 11 17:42:33 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 04:26:45PM -0500, Aaron Daniel wrote:
> That was kinda spiteful of you.

Well, I thought it was a bit rough, but I'm not sure it was spite...

> Not everyone has the same needs as you in their systems, especially
> those with only 50-60 users.  Your view in the telecom world is going to
> be WAY different than those that only run a smaller system.

For what it's worth, it's probably a good idea to be thinking about
these things, even if they aren't *requirements* at the level you're
designing at.

> Some people don't view their voice traffic as being as important as
> their email traffic, or their IM traffic.  It's just how things are
> going.  There's also different levels of expectancies.

Yeah -- I was going to note that some installations are subject to
outside requirements... Clearly, Aaron, this is on *your* agenda...

> In CF's defense, in a smaller environment, it makes much more sense to
> watch for problem signs and have a system prepared (or parts on hand) to
> do repairs in the case of impending failure.  For example, if our A/C
> goes out, we're prepared with hard drives because those are almost
> guaranteed to start failing in tandem.  Most people will have redundant
> power in their systems, but if they only have ONE T1 line coming into
> the network and don't have the CASH to pay for better hardware, then one
> system will be sufficient for their needs.

True.

> Not everyone requires the same clustering capabilities that you do, so
> quit blasting the list with shock that not everyone's building their own
> systems to your specs.

Aw, c'mon; it's fun to watch.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_