[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.2.12 lost phone registrations today... why?

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Wed Oct 11 10:50:57 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 11:19 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I lost my internet connection today for a short time.
> During that time 1.2.12.1 stopped talking to my phones.
> Asterisk was still working as I got 2 voicemails. I have TDM analog
> cards for incoming calls.
>
> Anyway my cisco phones had X's (lost registration) and my uniden phones
> said "Registration error".
>
> Why would phones loose registration to asterisk when the internet
> connection and DNS was lost.
> All phones have hardcoded IP addresses not DNS names.
>
> Any ideas? THanks,

Looking deep in sip.conf there is

;registertimeout=20   ;retry registration calls every 20 seconds
(default)
;registerattempts=10  ;Number of registration attempts before we give up
                     ; 0 = continue forever, hammering the other server
until it
                                ; accepts the registration
                                ; Default is 0 tries, continue forever

If you have the default i.e. forever this would cause a block at this
point for the external registrations and the internals would also become
blocked on their reregistration.

I had a system try 1547 times to register to it's outside provider (all
night) causing the internals to go to "No service". So when someone came
in in the morning ...

--
Dave Cotton
Directeur