[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.2.12 lost phone registrations today... why?

Bob Chiodini bchiodini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 09:07:50 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 11:19 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I lost my internet connection today for a short time.
> During that time 1.2.12.1 stopped talking to my phones.
> Asterisk was still working as I got 2 voicemails. I have TDM analog
> cards for incoming calls.
>
> Anyway my cisco phones had X's (lost registration) and my uniden phones
> said "Registration error".
>
> Why would phones loose registration to asterisk when the internet
> connection and DNS was lost.
> All phones have hardcoded IP addresses not DNS names.
>
> Any ideas? THanks,
>
> Jerry

Ditto here.  I run Trixbox 1.1 with the latest updates.

We had a power failure that took down the internet connection and local
DNS server.  My local Cisco phones could not register (IP addresses are
hard-coded) and, because of the DNS failure I could not register with my
SIP provider.  I have not had a chance to sort through the logs, but I
had to reset the Asterisk box, after the DNS server was restored.  In my
case, inbound and outbound PSTN calls (via a TDM11b) were failing.  The
local analog phone rang (on an inbound PSTN call), but did not recognize
the analog answering machine taking the line off-hook.  Once the caller
hung up, the local (analog) phones would ring again, but no call was
present, as reported by my wife.

BTW:  The Asterisk box is on UPS and did not go down and I do not have
voicemail enabled for my local extensions.

This sounds similar, possibly:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-October/168910.html

Bob...