[asterisk-users] RE: Welcome to the "asterisk-users" mailing list

Jessee J Holmes jholmes at atacomm.com
Tue Oct 10 13:57:14 MST 2006

A few of our technical support staff here at Atacomm are currently
working on this issue with Polycom, Digium and one of our customer's
(who posted in here earlier this week).

There are some major differences from the 1.x.x firmware and the 2.01
firmware. Obviously, many on here, voip-info.org, and all over the
Internet have reported troubles where their presence feature that
stops working after they upgrade their Polycom phones to firmware
revision 2.0.1 when the phones are configured with an Asterisk
system. A couple new things have been added to the .cfg files that
MUST now be set in order for presence to work again with an Asterisk
system.

In the sip.cfg file:

feature feature.1.name="presence" feature.1.enabled="1"

In the phone[mac].cfg file:

<attendant attendant.uri="user_112 at password_112" attendant.reg=""/>

However, there are still confirmed problems with this setup (i.e.
LEDs not working), which Polycom and ourselves are currently testing
in our labs trying to fix. The reasoning for this is Digium doesn't
seem to follow the "standards" for presence support and are currently
working to change this functionality within Asterisk. Polycom
designed their phones, and specifically their firmware, to work with
the "standards" (more specifically, the Microsoft LCS - Live
Communications Server).

This issue has been reported on multiple instances to Polycom,
Digium, and ourselves; but, no real resolution is completed yet.
We'll continue working on this issue within our labs and post an
official answer when one is available.

Sorry for the bit of bad news, if anyone is willing to contribute
working / half working code, we'd be more than happy to look at it
and work with Polycom and Digium on getting this fixed for everyone
ASAP.

Jessee Holmes
Atacomm / Ataractic Corporation
www.atacomm.com