[asterisk-users] sequential Dial() commands

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Tue Oct 10 11:04:00 MST 2006

Mark Price wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I cause the dial plan to dial a different extension if the first
> either never picks up or presses ignore or what have you?
> For example, something like this:
>
> exten => context,1,Dial(SIP/a at b.com)
> exten => context,2,Dial(SIP/b at c.com)
>
> Currently, if the first number doesn't answer, the session is closed.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

You need to specify a timeout on at least the first dial command.

 From 'show application dial':
"Unless there is a timeout specified, the Dial application will wait
indefinitely until one of the called channels answers, the user hangs
up, or if all of the called channels are busy or unavailable. Dialplan
executing will continue if no requested channels can be called, or if
the timeout expires."

'show application dial' on the command line will tell you how and where
to put the necessary options.

-Dave