[asterisk-users] SIP vz IAX...

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Tue Oct 10 01:27:01 MST 2006

On 9 Oct 2006, at 11:49, raviprakash sunkara wrote:

> Hello Users.....
> I'm in Dilemma with the performance  on SIP and IAX....
>
> Can any one help ...
>
>     1)                       Difference between the SIP and IAX...
> which one is Best... in VOIP service
>
> I'm using only SIP protocol for my  VOIP  in OpenSER...
> And Also I using Asterisk in SIP....
>
> we can Communicate the SIP and IAX by below scenario
>
> SIP (UA) --------> OPENSER -----> ASTERISK --------> IAX
> (UA).......  this I can do...
> IAX -----------> OPENSER  ----->  ASTERISK --------->  SIP/IAX.
> But main  problem  is ...
> Suppose
> IAX ------> ASTERISK-----------> openSER ------------> SIP /
> IAX  ... How ?

You can't - SER only talks SIP - so the devices on either side
of SER in your diagram have to support SIP.

you can have
IAX ------> ASTERISK-----------> openSER ----+-------> SIP

          +------->ASTERISK2-> IAX

I've wondered about the value of a IAX->SIP gateway program, that
just acted as a protocol converter, but in the end decided that a
cut down asterisk running on an embedded device was easier
to deal with.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com