[asterisk-users] ftp server

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Oct 9 11:13:33 MST 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 12:40:03PM -0400, Noah Miller wrote:
> >I use vsftpd and I'm using the default PlcmSpIp username just
> >fine. :) Essentially, I configured PlcmSpIp as a Linux user and I'm
> >serving it out by using personalised FTP home directories in vsftp
> >and then chrooting per user. Works like a charm and no phone
> >configuration is required.
>
> Quite right.  I'm blaming the inadequacies of my OS on vsftpd.  vsftpd
> just uses your OS user accounts.  On the Tao linux box that I had it
> installed on, you couldn't do capitals in user account names.  My bad.

And, I would speculate, it wasn't the OS, it was whatever layered
management tool you had on top; Linux has never cared whether login
names had caps in them.

Unix, in general, has always had *login programs* which would note an
*all caps* login name, and turn on case folding with an obscure
protocol for signifying real caps, but I strongly suspect current
versions don't do that any more: it was an ASR-33 era thing, for
terminals which couldn't do lowercase (gotta spell GOD'S name
right[1]), and how many of *those* do you see anymore?

Cheers
-- jra

[1]http://www.elsewhere.org/jargon/html/entry/Great-Runes.html

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_