[asterisk-users] disabling hardware echo can on tdm2400p

Ejay Hire EHire at cbrweb.com
Mon Oct 9 08:53:57 MST 2006

Hi.

I don't believe this course of action will fix your issue.  It sounds like
crosstalk, where stray signals from one pair are transmitted onto another.

My standard voice quality troubleshooting fix is as follows.

1.  If the zaptel module is ancient, install the new release.
2.  Stop asterisk and run 'fxotune -I 5'.  This takes a while, 3-4 minutes
per line.
3.  Add 'fxotune -s' to /etc/init.d/asterisk
4.  Ask the Telco for the number to a milliwatt test line and use the
"correct" procedure to set the incoming gain in zaptel.conf.
5.  Loop two lines and use the "correct" procedure to set the outgoing gain
in zaptel.conf.
6.  Reset all the echo cancelling and training settings to default.

Fxotune does some magic that matches the internal settings of the zaptel
card to the lines.
Setting the gain properly in the zaptel.conf puts the incoming signal into
the optimal range of the echo filters.
Resetting the echocanceler and training settings back to default pulls
everything back to a known value, which usually works well.

This has fixed it for me every time except once.  In the case of the "once",
a cheap phone cable (flat, not twisted) was run 35 feet around the edges of
the room, under space heaters, from the NID to the closet, butt-spliced and
hooked to the 66block, and then to the PBX.  Replacing this cable with a
category 5 cable run under the house (I didn't have any Cat3) fixed it.

Ejay Hire