[asterisk-users] Asterisk RT on Disk On Module Performance and Durability

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Sun Oct 8 18:28:38 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
  > Hmmmm, I'm not sure that this is exactly the data you're after.
>
> You're looking for the ammounts of writes for the disk block that gets
> the most writes.
>
> E.g: for a standard ext3 filesystem, the journal area would probably
> have very frequent writes, whereas most of the system would remain
> mostly unchanged.

Again, if the embedded system is setup properly, there is NO writing to
the flash during normal operations, thus the device won't be killed by
its alleged 2 million write limitation.

Kris and I had a quick discussion on this topic, off-list, and his
original flash-based device is still in constant operation after 2 years
and I have flash modules that I purposely tried to kill with writes. It
took significant effort to start causing error situations, which were
very easily detected before the system would become unusable.

Erick, you should focus on having a quick action restoration plan and
extra DOMs always readily available.  Then when a failure situation is
detected, you can react very quickly.

Jeremy McNamara