[asterisk-users] Asterisk RT on Disk On Module Performance and Durability

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Fri Oct 6 17:29:09 MST 2006

Let me chime on on Astlinux and  my personal experience. I have used Astlinux in the following installations:

1) boot from CF on VIA platform, store config settings on USB key drive
2) boot from CD on P3-800, store config settings on USB key drive
3) boot from CF on Soekris Net4801, store config settings on USB key drive
4) boot from USB key on H-P T5700 thin client platform, store config settings on second partition on USB key drive

In all cases it was diskless, fanless, silent, and utterly reliable. I just can't praise Kristian enough. Astlinux is great.

it doesn't have all the UI fluff of a TrixBox...but you don't need that. I'd rather run on humble (solid state and silent) hardware and shell into it for admin purposes. That said, Astlinux does have
a rudimentary web based UI for admin tasks.

I've had these systems in production for two years with now sign of trouble on boot CF or USB keys. If you call my office number, 800 number or via FWD  you're currently be answered by a
H-P T5700 thin client with a 1 GHz Transmeta Crusoe processor, 512 MB of RAM and 512 MB of USB key for storage. I saved six of these from being recycled by a large corparate entity.
I'm hoping that the faster CPU lets me do more with G.729 codecs that was possible on a 266 MHZ Soekris Net4801.

Durability in flash based memory is all about minimizing writes. Embedded systems rock! Silence is golden.

Michael Graves

--Original Message Text---
From: Erick Perez
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:54:48 -0500

Hi,
Im doing some research for Disk on a Module (DOM) with asterisk realtime. To have no moving parts for a special project, I know I can use 3.5 or 2.5 HDDs but DOMs sound interesting.

Does someone have working experience with this?
Basically the Asterisk Realtime will be stored in MySQL and the DB will be stored in a Disk on a Module.
I have read that the usual standard is 2,000,000 MTBF and 2,000,000 Read/Write Cycles.

Is there an utility/section/procedure that can "count/display" the reads and writes a normal Linux system does? That result can be extrapolated to understand, in terms of days/week/months
how much time a Disk on Module will last.

Anyone with field experience?

Thanks,

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780