[asterisk-users] Options for moving to * friendly Business VSP

Al Stery a8901550 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 21:41:14 MST 2006

Hi all,

I have a client whose business is currently running on *@home 2.6 with Cablevision' s (CV) Optimum Voice (OV) and 3 lines. There are going to be 4 additional trunks needed and I'd like to move/migrate them off of OV, to a better more flexible/open/supportive VSP. OV does not share SIP credentials and operates a closed system which required the use of digium tdm-400b card in order to get the trunks into * and limits what we can achieve. There are two parts to this plan. Here are some of the requirements for the first part.

The current 3 lines are setup as a hunt group so there's only one published number. My client needs to (at least for the time being) retain that phone number and CV does NOT allow number's in exchange blocks they "own" to be ported out. Due to this fact, I was pondering keeping one of the OV trunks open (the main number from the hunt group), and set it to forward all calls to the new hunt group number on the new VSP.

I'm not sure how something like this would function but my concern would be how the "hand-off" on the forward would behave. For example, can this scenario handle multiple incoming calls simultaneously or would one call be dumped off into OV's voicemail system? Also, once a call is forwarded to the new number, is the original OV trunk freed up to accept/forward more incoming calls? or is it tied to that call?

Part two.

Another business is merging in, bringing with it 4 lines of their own, one of which is an 800 TF number, all currently configured via Verizon POTS serivce. Ideally, I'd like to get those 4 trunks ported to a VSP also, keeping the TF 800 number and perhaps one of the "normal" phone numbers. The rquirement here is that the LNP be done atomically, without downtime (over a weekend for example). I don't know whether or not this is possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions and advice you all provide.