[asterisk-users] Re: Asterisk Server : IDE HDD frequent crash

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Fri Oct 6 12:31:24 MST 2006

On 2006-10-06 06:31:48 -0700, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> said:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:41:32PM -0700, Sam Norris wrote:
>> Heat = #1 cause of disk failure. If they are roasting to the touch they
>> will fail in 2-3 months.
>
> One word: "smartd".
>
> I didn't know it existed, and I'm amazed I didn't.  Everyone on this
> list should be running smartd, and know what it's saying.

SMART is useful, but not the be all and end all of disk drive care.

Proper ventilation as already mentioned, is much more important then
SMART status in my opinion...

I have seen many drives that fail, while still reporting that
everything is hunk dory as far as "SMART" is concerned.

Still, you make a good point.
Marty