[asterisk-users] Voicemail and Forwarding

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:57:07 MST 2006

Hi Forrest -

> I am trying to set an extension for forwarding
> all calls to voicemail.  So if a user set's their phone to forward all
> calls to extension 2000 it will drop the caller in the user's
> voicemail box.
>
> exten => 2000,1,Voicemail(u${EXTEN}@vmcontext)
>
> this of course gives me a error that mailbox 2000 doesn't exist.
>
> exten => 2000,1,Voicemail(${CALLERID(num)}@vmcontext)
>
> This gives the original caller his own mailbox.

Why don't you try it a little differently.  If a user wants to forward
all his/her calls to voicemail, you can give each user get a separate
"voicemail" extension.  Maybe just add a '2' in front of the user's
normal extension number.  So, if you have three digit extensions, you
can do that like this:

exten => _2XXX,1,Voicemail(u${EXTEN:3}@vmcontext)

What phones are you using, BTW?  Many SIP phones have a "Do Not
Disturb" feature.  Just press the DND button, and if the dialplan is
set up correctly, all calls to that extension will go directly to
voicemail.

- Noah