[asterisk-users] Getting Asterisk to work with GoogleTalk

Alvin Austin aan at crlogic.com
Thu Oct 5 10:17:01 MST 2006

Hello all,

We're trying to get the Asterisk to GoogleTalk functionality working,
using the latest asterisk svn code (we've also tried with 1.4beta2).
SVN Asterisk's make update displays:
   Updated to revision 59.
   Updated to revision 44477.

We've tried to follow the recipe (without success) in:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Speaks+with+Google+Talk

When Asterisk starts up, the WindowsXP GoogleTalk user (xyz456) sees the
asterisk server (ast123) appearance.  When it tries to call the asterisk
server, it hears ringing, but Asterisk does not answer (there is no
indication in the CLI that it has received a call, except for the
messages below).

Asterisk (run as:  asterisk -cfvvvvvv) shows the following messages
several times:

JABBER: googletalk INCOMING: <iq to="ast123 at gmail.com/asterisk709EC6B7"
from="xyz456 at gmail.com/gmail.F1D1B5C9" id="aaaac" type="result">
<query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info">
<identity category="client" type="pc"/>
<feature var="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info"/>
</query></iq>
    -- JABBER: I Dont have an IQ!!!

JABBER: googletalk INCOMING: <presence
from="xyz456 at gmail.com/gmail.F1D1B5C9"
<caps:c node="http://mail.google.com/xmpp/client/caps" ver="1.1"
xmlns:caps="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps"/>
    -- JABBER: I am available ^_* 13
    -- JABBER: type is away
    -- JABBER: I Do know how to handle presence!!

Would anyone shed some light on what we're missing here, please?

Here are the relevant configuration file pieces...

(1) sip.conf
------------
[general]
context=from-gtalk
bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
srvlookup=yes
dtmfmode=rfc2833
relaxdtmf=no
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm
maxexpirey=30
defaultexpirey=180
canreinvite=yes
nat=0
UserAgent=Asterisk
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridge=yes

(2) gtalk.conf (this file is not present. Should it be??)

(3) jabber.conf
---------------
[general]
;debug=yes
;autoprune=yes
;autoregister=yes

[googletalk]
type=client
serverhost=talk.google.com
username=ast123 at gmail.com
secret=gtpassxxxx
port=5222
;port=5223
usetls=yes
usesasl=yes
buddy=xyz456 at gmail.com
statusmessage="Voice Calls Only"
timeout=100

(4) jingle.conf
---------------
[general]
context=from-gtalk
;context=default
allowguest=yes

[guest]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
context=from-gtalk
;context=guest

[google]
username=ast123 at gmail.com
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
context=from-gtalk
connection=asterisk

(5) extensions.conf (partial):
------------------------------
;incoming from GoogleTalk
[from-gtalk]
exten => s,1,NoOP("Incoming call from GoogleTalk to ast123 at gmail.com")
exten => s,n,Answer()
exten => s,n,Playback(thanks-for-calling)
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/101,60,t)
exten => s,n,Hangup

;outgoing to GoogleTalk
[to-gtalk]
exten => 190,1,NoOp("Calling GoogleTalk user xyz456 at gmail.com")
exten => 190,n,Dial(Jingle/googletalk/xyz456 at gmail.com)

(note that ast123 at gmail.com and xyz456 at gmail.com are fictitious names
for debugging only)

- If you have this working, please share your sanitized configuration files.
- Can you explain the messages "JABBER: I Dont have an IQ!!!" and
"JABBER: I Do know how to handle presence!!" and what's required to
correct the problems.

Thanks much,
Alvin