[asterisk-users] Wouldn't Tri-tone detection in Dial() be cool?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 20:13:26 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 11:35:53AM -0600, Steve Murphy wrote:
> Well, it hit me last night as I was falling asleep... Asterisk (in
> the app Zapateller) can emit the tri-tone (you know beep-Beep-BEEP...
> The number you have dialed is no longer in service. Please check the
> number and...blah, blah)

Special Information Tones.  Many people don't appreciate that the
three tones are selected from a set of more than three..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tone

and, more deeply:

http://www.telephonetribute.com/signal_and_circuit_conditions.htm

> Well, it occurred to me that, for the sake of orthogonality, wouldn't
> it be cool if Asterisk's Dial function also detected that tone, with
> an option to immediately hang up if it occurred, with a result code of
> WRONGNUMBER or NOSERVICE or whatever?

The ability to detect precise SIT tones on placed calls would be
*really* good.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_