[asterisk-users] Building the Perfect Box

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Tue Oct 3 12:46:51 MST 2006

> I'm sorry.  You seem to have fallen into the sar-chasm.
>
> And I thought the smiley would be enough hint.  :-)

never. 2 Smileys: maybe ;)

> > Yes of course. These notebooks tend to get forgotten in a cupboard
> > until the day they're needed. And then they're so out of date that
> > they're more damaging that useful. Do you update the text on the
> > server itself somewhere? How do you go about keeping it up-to-date?
> > "Just discipline"? Do you work in a team with others?
>
> I think it's possible to discipline yourself on this front, yes.  How
> often does an operational *-box change enough that you have to modify
> your recovery procedures, anyway?

They *shouldn't* change too much. But there are currently quite a lot of
companies here in the UK calling up clients to persuade them to switch
to another provider. If the client doesn't loud and clearly says "No
thank you" they'll be migrated and their number ported. They only find
out when someone digs up the road and breaks the PRI. Then they wonder
why BT can't help them. ;(
I wondered wether you do regular recovery tests. Like a firedrill, or
so.

Conrad