[asterisk-users] CALEA support within asterisk?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Oct 3 12:34:41 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
> As the OP of this thread, I'm involved with an itsp operation that
> includes asterisk with links to regional/national itsp facilities,
> PRI's to local pstn facilities, and broadband sip/iax connections to
> residence and business customers. I don't think the legalese will be
> justification for not providing calea support.
You're right for that matter due to your status as a provider. Well I
work @ a provider I never name and we are using Netrake's nCite which is
compliant.
> So, my initial guess is that some "box" will be required (probably one
> provided by law enforcement, or, one that meets technical calea specs
> that must be purchased and installed) that accepts official and secure
> calea transactions (from law enforcement), and forwards those
> requested tranactions to asterisk in some form or another. To further
> advance that "guess", calea transactions may simply request certain
> cdr detail and/or might involve setting up a real-time call monitoring
> function forwarding audio to the requested calea agency. There is
> likely some sort of internal logging and reporting function that can
> be used as a form of "checks and balances" in subsequent court cases,
> etc.
>
> If those "guesses" are anywhere near realistic, then I'd further guess
> that some asterisk app would need to be written to handle at least a
> portion of the calea tranactions.

There you have my two cents on this. Most SBC's should be compliant. As
for the audio streams, someone using TLS/SIP renders that irrelevant.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams