[asterisk-users] CALEA support within asterisk?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Oct 3 10:59:31 MST 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 12:13:27PM -0500, Rich Adamson wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if asterisk currently supports the US government's
>> Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) regulations?
>> If not, does anyone have this item on their To-Do list?
>>

> Why in hell *would* anyone?
>
> I don't think CALEA ("to", not "for" :-) applies to anything smaller
> than a CO switch anyway, does it?

Yes it does. Firstly to address the original poster:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-260434A1.doc

CALEA can in this case be implemented by your provider alleviating you
somewhat. Depending on how you infer legalese.

CALEA outside of sniffing, facilitates recording information (CDR's
etc.) , so setting up a designated machine (syslog perhpas) and saving
the logging information(/var/log/asterisk/*) from Asterisk will likely
suffice.
> Does that mean that they've made it illegal to use Asterisk?

Illegal? It's illegal to question your new government thank you.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams