[asterisk-users] Fax detection ...

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 2 17:44:16 MST 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:43:44AM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
>

>>Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>>>So, y'know, that assertion gets made a lot.
>>>
>>>What's the turn rate of fax machines in the market? 3 years?  5?  CNG
>>>tones are *well* over 10 years old, no?
>>>

>>What relevance does that have to CNG? It was a feature of the original
>>spec 30 years ago.
>>

>Well, perhaps I wasn't paying attention, but I thought that CNG tones
>*had as their purpose* making receive FAX detection trivial.  That
>would tend to make the question on-point, would it not?

It is the age of the machines which has no relevance.

>>>What percentage of fax calls are sent without CNG tones these days?
>>>

>>Quite a lot. A large number of FAX machines have CNG turned off. On many
>>machines, if select features like sharing a line between FAX and
>>answering machine CNG, CED and various other useful behaviour might be
>>disabled.
>>

>My personal experience is that I've never seen a consumer-grade fax
>machine with send-CNG turned off, and I don't *think* I've ever seen
>one on which there was a knob *to* turn it off; I would be less sure
>about fax modems -- those may have a knob, but I would expect it to
>default on.
>
>Could you expand on what behaviour you think CNG breaks?  Cause I'm not
>modeling it, mentally...

I guess you touched many consumer grade fax machines, since *most* above
the very basic ones can do this in some way.

Some have really fun behaviour. I used to suffer some Olivetti ones that
had several modes of calling and answering - Delay a while, to give
someone a chance to pick up first; Pick up, but remain silent and see
what the machine can hear; etc. Those Olivettis would only properly send
a fax to another Olivetti when they were in straight forward standard
mode. Now there's compatibility for you. :-) A lot of other machines
offer similarly dumb modes of behaviour, but nothing quite so extreme as
those. When you investigate one of these issues, and ask the user why
the machine is not in simple answering mode, they are usually unaware it
is not. These modes get set largely at random on installed fax machines.

Now, it seems like these special modes should only affect answering. It
would seem they are mostly about doing what Asterisk is doing - waiting
silently for the 1100Hz tone. However, that's just too clean and simple
for the fax industry. They do a bunch of other dumb stuff to make things
more awkward, like call and only send something when they here 2100Hz.

Steve

Steve