[asterisk-users] t1 voip to failover pri

stan ford stanford510 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 11:56:36 MST 2006

if i went with an SDSL line, don't those lines hook up to a common point, the DSLAM?

  i do like this idea of faling over not to a pri but another cheaper high speed line.

adebayo omo-dare <bayo0 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    I wouldn't first presume that there is any law that states you have to run VoIP over a PRI. Other technologies exist such as SDSL - with some providers speaking of crazy prices such as £65pcm for 2Mbs 5:1 contention ration and £100 for 1:1 (U.K) - should be even less in the states if that's where you are.

  One option, but not the only one, would be to drop your pri when your contract ends and take up SDSL - and voila an initial saving, in your case, of a 000 or more in the year.

  You could also have two SDSL lines for a little less than the price of the PRI. Both lines would not only serve for High Availability -possibly even better availability than single PRI- but could also, actively, both switch traffic, giving you 4Mbps of bandwidth for your VoIP, or if you choose, some other requirement while not required as failover - all for the price of less than one PRI.

  Then there is compression - 64k non negotiable, per channel for PRI, and flexible -i.e., less the 64k- for VoIP (International high quality Calls are transported at 16k), giving you the capacity to potentially service more traffic with less initial outlay.

  Other real cost efficiencies come in the form of the fact that IP-to-IP (local/national/international) calls are free. So if you have a lot of inter-branch communications, or communications you can switch on to IP, you can totally erradicate this cost - unlike with the PRI where you will still be subject to payment.
  Think like this - say I have two offices - one in london and the other New York. How much will I save by moving my calls on to VoIP with no per-time or call setup charges.

  Features related to OAM&P, can also be faster and cheaper with you having a lot more power in your hands.

  In real senses, and with regards to reliability, you should take in to consideration the great moves currently being made by telecom companies (incumbents most especially), with regards to a complete shift to NGNs, which have a strong focus on ToIP. With new fiber (FTTP), new technology, etc, a lot of networks are highly reliable at the present moment - I guess this would also depend on where you are.

  The thing about it is that complete IP networks in terms of telecom now look inevitable. And whether you do it yourself or it is done for you - it is the way things, many expect, are going to be in the next 5 or so years.

stan ford <stanford510 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    I'm confused with something, maybe someone can explain to me.

  if your currently on  a pri and are considering moving over to VOIP, that means you would have to purchase a t1 or fractional t1 for a your voip connections.

  but then, voip connections aren't as reliable as PRI. so then you would probbaly have to get a PRI failover.

  but then having a PRI failover means that you now have to pay 400 for a T1, then another 400 for your PRI line. wouldn't have you have just defeated the cause of savig money by now having to have a PRI on standby? now costing you 800 a month? wouldn't it almost be the same price to stick with the PRI only?

  is anyone out there, using a VOIP only  with no failover?