[asterisk-users] t1 voip to failover pri

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Oct 2 10:57:50 MST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:14:45PM -0400, Steve Glaus wrote:
> stan ford wrote:
> >I'm confused with something, maybe someone can explain to me.
> >
> >if your currently on  a pri and are considering moving over to VOIP,
> >that means you would have to purchase a t1 or fractional t1 for a your
> >voip connections.

Correcet.

> >but then, voip connections aren't as reliable as PRI. so then you
> >would probbaly have to get a PRI failover.

Yep.

> >but then having a PRI failover means that you now have to pay 400 for
> >a T1, then another 400 for your PRI line. wouldn't have you have just
> >defeated the cause of savig money by now having to have a PRI on
> >standby? now costing you 800 a month? wouldn't it almost be the same
> >price to stick with the PRI only?

Well, yes and no.

> >is anyone out there, using a VOIP only  with no failover?
>
> We're using VOIP only, no failover. Furthermore we're using it on a
> cable internet connection. We have a cheap dsl connection for backups.
> It's been up for about 2 months now and has only been out twice for a
> small period of time. When that happens the DSL takes over. I don't
> pretend that this is in anyways comparable to PSTN service but it works
> pretty well for us. We have three locations. Two of which are set up the
> same way, the third just has 3 stations and just registers with one of
> the asterisk boxes at the other locations.

Cool.

> I think when you're talking enterprise you definitely want to go with a
> t1 or two t1's for backup. (I don't really understand how a PRI gives
> you more reliability than a T circuit. They run over the same copper
> don't they??)

They do.

.                 For our purposes however (and I'd like to think I speak
> for a lot of mid size businesses with < 50 employees) our setup works
> wonderful. It costs us about $600 all in all (internet access + VOIP)
> and that's  a FAR cry from what we were paying through Covad before. Of
> course there always will be exceptions (People that need 100% guaranteed
> uptime), but for the size of our business this works. The only part that
> REALLY concerns me is our DID's. If our DID provider ever goes down we
> are screwed. Anyone know of any failsafes for THIS?

I don't believe that you can port local DID's no.  The easiest way to
do it would be to leverage Local Number Portability, but this would
require finding a LEC to serve you that a) could do that in realtime,
and b) *would* do that in realtime.

I'm not up on that state of the art, but I have people to ask.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_