[asterisk-users] How to park calls on a specific extension

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Nov 29 22:20:20 MST 2006

Lacy Moore - Aspendora wrote:

> I think that's the problem with the Asterisk community right now.
> Anytime something is suggested, the response is either write it yourself
> or deal with what is there.

Do you have experience with other big, complex Open Source projects?  Do
you know of any where the end users sit and pitch requests, and the
developers read them and say, "Yes, sir.  I'm here to serve you!!"

> Does Digium want feedback on what actual, real users want, or not?  If
> not, fine.  I won't be making another suggestion.

Everyone's suggestions are seen and considered.  But what goes into the
code is unlikely to be what a "user-only" has suggested unless one of
the developers becomes convinced that a given feature is worth the time
that will be required to implement and test it.

> I think it's childish to tell someone who is requesting a feature to
> write it themselves.  Did you ever stop to think that if they could,
> they wouldn't be asking for that feature?

. . short litany of complaints elided . . .

> I won't be doing another Asterisk install for a while.  Customer #2 has
> made sure of that by telling everyone how their new phone system sucks.

> But seriously, the attitude of either write it yourself or deal with it
> won't cut it for business users.  If Asterisk is only for geeks, then
> fine, it will work perfectly.

Have you looked into Asterisk Business Edition?  If your customers are
having that bad of a time, you may have sold the system before becoming
familiar enough with what Asterisk does and how it does it.

It doesn't help anyone to have someone do an install and then have the
end user thinking the system sucks.

If it sucked as bad as you portray it in this mail, the lists wouldn't
be so laden with mails--including suggestions from endusers such as you.

Complaints are always considered, but calling the developers childish
and repeating that complaint over and over in an email isn't likely to
do much to advance the cause you've taken on.

B.

believed to be clean.