[asterisk-users] Voicemail, SQL & ODBC

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Wed Nov 29 08:25:22 MST 2006

Noah Miller wrote:
> Hi Peder -
>
>> Is the storage of actual voicemail messages in a database still limited
>> to ODBC?  If so, why?
>
> Yes.  Why? Nobody has developed a voicemail solution that directly
> connects to a *SQL database for message storage.
A clear answer :-) Although a sad one :-(
Because it means, I have to install all that ODBC stuff (which always
lead to trouble in the past).

>> I want to store all of my voicemail stuff in a database so that I can
>> give users web access to it, but I don't want to run web services on my
>> * server itself.  If it is all in a DB, I can have a web box and a
>> separate SQL box and none of it should affect *.
>
> Yes, you can do this.  There are other ways to do this without using
> database storage for voicemail (e.g. you could use normal file-based
> storage for voicemail and have the webserver connect to the vm storage
> on the * server via nfs).

In my case, that's not possible. Because the box asterisk runs on has
very limited memory an no harddisk.
I don't know for Peder, but for me the only way seems to be to install ODBC.

Norbert