[asterisk-users] Do extra CPU's help?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Nov 28 12:13:37 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:54:45PM +1100, Eric Bishop wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have Xeon-based system with only 1 (hyperthreaded) CPU (in a HP DL360).
> We are seeing high load on multiple meetme session as well as g729
> transcoding. My question is will putting an extra CPU help or does Asterisk
> just run on a single CPU.

Your question is not clear.

An extra processor will always help. Asterisk is a multithreaded
program. Things like transcoding are done in the threads of the specific
channels and will thus benefit nicely from extra CPUs.

I do suspect that Metme will not scale as well. Much of the Zaptel
conferencing code is done in the clock interrupt of the master zaptel
device, and that work would not be easily spread between several CPUs.
But I have not reviewed this well.

If you ask about single CPU vs. the 2 CPUs emulated by hyperthreading:
not exactly sure. I can speculate everal arguments in both directions.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com