[asterisk-users] Voicemail, SQL & ODBC

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:58:33 MST 2006

On 11/28/06, Peder @ NetworkOblivion <peder at networkoblivion.com> wrote:
> Is the storage of actual voicemail messages in a database still limited
> to ODBC?  If so, why?
>
> And is the use of mySQL and ODBC at the same time still a bad idea?  If
> so, why?
>
> I want to store all of my voicemail stuff in a database so that I can
> give users web access to it, but I don't want to run web services on my
> * server itself.  If it is all in a DB, I can have a web box and a
> separate SQL box and none of it should affect *.

Mate, I can't say it with authority but I'm almost certain that the
only DB that a specific driver was written for is MySQL. I think if
you use res_mysql.o you should be able to talk to mySql directly
without needing ODBC. I'm using ODBC via FreeTDS to an MSSQL Server,
now that might be a disaster waiting to happen but won't know till I
put some load on it. It seems to work well in the Lab with about 4-5
asterisk servers ALL accessing voicemail concurrently.