[asterisk-users] Call Transfers in SER + Asterisk architecture

Ricardo Carvalho rjcarvalho at reit.up.pt
Fri Nov 24 07:53:56 MST 2006

Hi Marco,

Ser has IP of Asterisk server in his "trusted" table, Asterisk isn't
registered in Ser. When Ser needs to use Asterisk, it simply rewrites
the IP destination with Asterisk's IP, and routes them to him.

For example, here's one failed attempt in transferring a call PSTN ->
VoIP -> VoIP:

PSTN               Asterisk                   Ser
phone_A               phone_B
|        INVITE        |                       |
|                       |
| ------------------>  |                       |                       |

|      100 Trying      |                       |
|                       |
| <------------------- |                       |
|                       |
|                      |         INVITE        |
|                       |
|                      |  ------------------>  |        INVITE
|                       |
|                      |                       | ------------------->
|                       |
|                      |                       |        100 trying
|                       |
                       |       100 trying      | <-------------------
|                       |
|      100 trying      | <-------------------  |      180 Ringing
|                       |
| <------------------  |      180 Ringing      | <-------------------
|                       |
|     180 Ringing      | <------------------   |
|                       |
| <------------------  |                       |
|                       |
|          ACK         |                       |
|                       |
| -------------------> |           ACK         |
|                       |
|                      | ------------------->  |          ACK
|                       |
|                      |                       | ------------------->
|                       |
|                      |          RTP          |
|                       |
| <==================================================================>
|                       |
|                      |                       |
|                       |
|                      |                       |         REFER
|                       |
|                      |          REFER        | <-------------------
|                       |
|                      |  <------------------  |
|                       |
|                      |     404 Not Found     |
|                       |
|                      |  -------------------> |     404 Not Found
|                       |
|                      |                       |  ------------------>
|                       |

In this example, phone_A answers the PSTN originated call, and wants to
transfer the call to phone_B. A REFER message is than routed backwards
to Asterisk, and he replies with those 404 Not Found messages. Phone_B
never gets called!

Should Asterisk be registered in Ser so this can work properly? How can
that be done?

Thanks,
Ricardo.