[asterisk-users] Cisco media gateways in general

Scott Keagy skeagy at ipcexperts.com
Wed Nov 22 10:00:02 MST 2006

I've never used Asterisk MGCP, and I've only used MGCP gateway on Cisco
IOS when controlled from Cisco CallManager (with PRI D-channels
backhauled to CallManager).

In terms of making an invalid number dialed via Asterisk to Cisco...
behavior on Cisco side is entirely subject to how you've programmed the
router. If you have no matching dialplan entry, then router will reject
the call. If you put a catch-call type of dial peer (i.e. with a
destination pattern that matches everything under the sun) and point it
out a PSTN connection, then if the call is set up and plays an
announcement back to the router with a "please hang up and try again"
type of message, then it may be played back in-band in the audio stream
if the router interprets it as an answered call, or it may reject the
call toward Asterisk if the PSTN call leg is never established. I
suspect this only works as you described when using analog PSTN
connections to Cisco gateway, because the loop has to be closed to play
back the audio announcement. If you had a PRI on the Cisco gateway,
you'd probably get a reject message from the telco and send back a
similar reject message toward Asterisk, even if you had the dial peer
pointing toward the PSTN for the invalid number.

Regards,
Scott