[asterisk-users] reduce dialtone volume on zap channel.

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Wed Nov 22 03:06:45 MST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Don Pobanz wrote:

>> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling
>>
>> No, you cannot change the volume of ONLY the dialtone
>> on a Zap interface.
>>
> I was afraid of that.
>
>> The most common problem with the first digit being
>> missed by the telco is that Asterisk is trying to
>> dial too soon after it goes off hook.  If
>> it is an analog port then prefixing your number
>> with w or ww will help.
>>

> My issue is prior to ever sending the digits somewhere else such as
> the pstn. It is just having asterisk recognize the dtmf when I
> press a button on the phone.
>
> Don Pobanz

Dan,

If I have followed this thread correctly, your problem is that, when
you pick up a local analog phone connected to asterisk through a zap
channel, asterisk generates a dialtone, and everything works fine,
except that the echo is intolerable. Then, you install an echo
canceller, and then asterisk cannot reliably register your DTMF
digits when you pick up the phone and dial. In other words, your
problem shows up when you install the echo cancellers.

Do you have the echo cans installed between your local extension and
the zap channel? I assume so, because otherwise they should have no
effect on your DTMF. Maybe I'm missing something, but I was always of
the impression that echo cancellers are installed between asterisk
and the PSTN, not between the local handset and asterisk. That way,
the echo canceller is only in the media stream when you place a call
out to the PSTN. I assume that you don't have echo problems calling
from one local analog extension to another. If you do, however, I
would suggest that maybe your problem is bigger than just a DTMF issue.

Just a thought,

Tom