[asterisk-users] Recording g729

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Nov 21 12:13:57 MST 2006

	Is there a free tool for encoding recorded audio (eg WAVs) into .g729
format files which can be played back from Asterisk into SIP connection
to the PSTN? If no free tool, does the licensed SW from Digium encode
data that way? Does the playback need a g729 codec running to connect to
a SIP carrier to the PSTN which allows only g729 connections?

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 10:42 -0700,
asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:09:10 -0500
> From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Recording g729
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> G729 is licensed per channel. A single call can have more than one
> channel,
> however I don't think that recording a call would cause the number of
> channels to change.
>
> On 11/20/06, Marnus van Niekerk <m at mjvn.net> wrote:
> >
> >  Before ordering I want to be sure about the exact requirements for
> g729when recording.
> >
> > We will have calls coming in as g711, that is transcoded and going
> out to
> > a SIP provider using g729.
> > If we record those calls do we need 2 x g729 licenses for each call
> or can
> > * record the g711 side of the call.
> >
> > Tx

(C) Matthew Rubenstein