[asterisk-users] G723 pass-through and codec negotiation

Ray Jackson ray at jacksonz.net
Sun Nov 19 12:23:50 MST 2006

Hi Andrew,

All that happens is Asterisk sets up the call using G723 as the codec
and calls then fail due to transcoding problems (since it cannot
encode/decode g723).  The softphone always prefers g723 over gsm, so if
you allow both in sip.conf Asterisk always select g723 due to the
preference of the client.  What I need is for Asterisk to understand
what the 'other end' is capable of before selecting a codec. i.e. if the
call terminates to the Voicemail then select gsm and do NOT allow g723.
Codec negotiation is usually something that occurs in the call setup
between 2 endpoints, but Asterisk seems to do this in isolation for each
client without understanding where the call is going first to make that
decision.  What I really need is something that forces the 'allow'
codecs in the dial plan per call.  Does anybody know if this is this
possible?

Cheers,
Ray