[asterisk-users] MS-GSM codec issues - Anybody seen anything similar?

Ray Jackson ray at jacksonz.net
Sun Nov 19 04:12:57 MST 2006

All,

Has anybody come across a problem with the MS-GSM codec on Asterisk?  We
have a client for Windows XP that uses the MS-GSM codec.  While the
codec seems to work when talking directly to Asterisk, when 2 of these
clients talk to each other through Asterisk the sound is all mangled on
both ends.  I assume MS-GSM is the same as used by Windows Messenger and
so my problem may be related to an earlier posting which had no replies:

http://www.archivum.info/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/2006-01/msg00988.html

We are running v1.2.13 and we have tried v1.4.0-beta3 too.
Interestingly, on v1.4 the codec shows up as 'unknown' when you look at
the call using 'sip show channels'?  If anybody has heard of similar
issues let me know.

Kind of related to this, is it possible with Asterisk to do GSM
pass-through?  i.e. Have Asterisk act as an RTP proxy and pass the RTP
between clients with no interference?  This could also be an option
since the clients talk GSM fine to each other is seems.

Cheers,
Ray

This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately via email and then destroy this message and any attachments.