[asterisk-users] A question on ISDN cards... (in the UK)

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Wed Nov 15 05:09:36 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 11:23 +0000, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
> > Would anyone like to recommend a good and reasonable quality ISDN
> > card for use in the UK, as after a lot of good results with TDM400P
> > cards with several systems installed now, I need to look at a few
> > ISDN BRI (old business highway about to move to ISDN2) and possibly a
> > single-line PRI (ISDN-30) system.

I'd say the most important distinction is the choice between HFC based
ISDN cards (starting around £9) and active cards, like Diva, Digium etc
(~£300).

Whilst the HFC cards work (with bristuff) you need to be prepared to
reload modules regularly and go through other hoops.
I used to work in a IT company, and there it's perfectly allright to use
cheap cards, because the skills to reset modules etc are available at
all times.
For a clients' system I wouldn't go down that route and spend the money.
I have no complains on call quality or dropped calls on cheap cards nor
on expensive cards, it's the administration and 'shinyness of the
product'.

Conrad