[asterisk-users] Desktop integration

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Tue Nov 14 02:21:46 MST 2006

On 13 Nov 2006, at 13:15, Ondrej Valousek wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> I will check that site - thanks for the hint.
> The biggest problem I see with authentication and I do not think
> mexuar could help me here (and I am definitely going to pay $2000
> for it :-)
> But it is another story...

Well, it could, one of the 2 ways we advise people to do call back is
using the softphone to dial an extension
which then creates the required call file - without ever answering.
So essentially we are leveraging the
softphone user credentials to get restricted access to asterisk's
spool directory.

Anyhow, a full web-based softphone is overkill for your app unless
you have another use for it
on the same asterisk server,  the $2000 covers all the users on a single
asterisk server. So with 100 users it would be competitive with snap.

The security thing is tricky, the best place to put it is in the web-
server, then put a program
  in the cgi-bin and protect it with the web server's access control.
This means that
	a) you don't need to run apache on your asterisk system
	b) you can restrict access to the manager port to just the
webserver, not give it
		to all and sundry.

I've written a java program (using asterisk-java) that invokes the
originate method on the manager API.
which can be put in an CGI. If anyone is interested I can clean it up
and post it somewhere.

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net