[asterisk-users] STUN with one public and one private IP?

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Mon Nov 13 16:51:49 MST 2006

I'm finishing up deploying an Asterisk (Trixbox) box at work. Wow, I
thought Asterisk was cool by itself, but Trixbox has made just about
everything turnkey. Great stuff!

So... we're using Grandstream GXP-2000 handsets to connect to the Trixbox,
which sits on our DMZ with a single public IP. I need the phones to work
from random places behind NAT, as well as in the office. I'm using STUN,
and I understand I need a primary IP and an alternate IP to make STUN
work.

Well, I got STUN working here on amethyst.justthe.net, which has a bunch
of available public IPs, but the Trixbox only has one public IP, and I
have to request (and pay for) more IPs from the phone company if I need
any more. And I'd really prefer that STUN be running in the office, and
not on my personal server.

So I'm wondering... I'm using stund from SourceForge. Is there any reason
I couldn't give the Trixbox's public IP address as the primary and
127.0.0.1 as the secondary? I believe Asterisk is listening on the
loopback interface...

Thanks in advance,
  Steve

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California     PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.