[asterisk-users] SIP Ports (1000 to 2000 works)

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Mon Nov 13 15:52:29 MST 2006

On 13/11/06, Al Bochter <Al.Bochter at bochterservices.com> wrote:
> Yes you are right 10000-20000 are rtp ports used by asterisk by default
> I have some that do set a custom range in /etc/asterisk/rtp.conf ..
>
> After looking around.. There were not any notes about the 1000 - 2000 port
> range on there website.
> As you know if you don't know what the ports are it no workie!!!!!
> And it is not good to DMZ the server.....
> ----------
> Now I have a handytone 386 that is set to
>
> SIP port 5060 and 5062
> RTP port 5004 and 5008
>
> You can set Random Ports to use:  1024 to 65535
>
> The handytone will work fine on the LAN.... But if you would moved the
> Handytone to the internet it would NOT work do to the firewall..
> Using the asterisk defaults
> ----------
> So liked I ask before  "So is there any standard ports"

Both sides have to be willing to negotiate a port. Maybe your
handytone has its own restrictions on RTP ports? As you now know,
Asterisk doesn't care as long as you specify a range in rtp.conf.

1000-2000 must be a typo as ports <1024 are reserved and privileged.

There's no standard - there are several different conventions adopted
by different vendors, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_Transport_Protocol might help.

Peter
--