[asterisk-users] Slow to get dialtone when going off hook - bigproblem for me :(

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Sun Nov 12 22:20:49 MST 2006

--On Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:53 PM -0500 John Novack
<jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:

> Dovid B wrote:
>> <snip>
>> How hard would it be to have asterisk detect a dial tone ?
> I really can't say. I am not a "C" programmer, so I wouldn't even know
> where to start.
> Given that cheap dial up modems have, for the past ??20?? years, have
> been able to do just that, I would think it should have been an early
> consideration
> For those 1% of users, the last time I tried, the insertion of a "w"  had
> no effect for pulse dialing either.

Well thanks to everyone who responded, and thanks to multiple w's I am back
in operation.  I went off hook a bunch of times and the worst case seemed
to be 3 seconds to get a dial tone (which is pretty bad).  It's hard to
google one letter, but I eventually found that each w is .5 seconds, so 7
w's were inserted to be safe.  I also called Cox and griped but I doubt
that will do me any good.

I am a "C" programmer, but I don't know anything about the inards of
Asterisk.  However, I would expect that dial tone detection would be a
function of the hardware, not the Asterisk software.  The cheap modems do
this on board and export a simple command set.  But I also don't know
anything about Digium's hardware either.

Thanks again!  I really appreciate the help!

Jim