[asterisk-users] Slow to get dialtone when going off hook - big problem for me :(

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sun Nov 12 21:46:08 MST 2006

Jim Archer wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> My Asterisk system uses VoIP and also 2 POTS lines from Cox
> Communications. Recently, the dial tone presentation from Cox seems to
> have slowed, so it can take as long as 3 seconds to get a dial tone.
>
> The problem I am having is that Asterisk does not seem to wait for the
> dial tone when dialing out.  I'm using zaptel T400 cards.  Is there
> any way to configure it such that I can insert a delay between the
> time the card goes "off hook" and the time it starts dialing?
> Alternatively, can I make it wait until there is a dial tone?
>
> Incoming calls are just fine, so I am almost certain this is what's
> happening.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
Asterisk/Zaptel has NEVER detected dial tone.
Inserting multiple w's as others have mentioned only seems to work with
Tone dialing as well, which is OK for 95% of the people.
Of course you still have to guess at the number of w's, and as Cox gets
slower, you will have to go back and insert yet another.
No one seems to be interested or skilled enough to fix this.
It's much more fun to add new wiz bang features than to fix some
fundamental design flaws.

John Novack