[asterisk-users] IAX2 one way audio

joe a. (joea at j4computers.com) joea at j4computers.com
Sun Nov 12 15:48:13 MST 2006

Experiencing one way audio using IAX2.

I did see some other posts on this, and see there may be some internal issues with asterisk and one way audio.  Can this be a widespread problem?  So many seem to be using IAX, I find it puzzling.

Some information points to this being a problem on asymmetrical connections.  This is a decidedly asymmetrical connection, with 1.5 Mbs download and 256 kbs, upload.   A satellite link, to boot.  So, maybe this is a meltdown right from the start?  Event the vendor of the IAX service was not too keen.

Oddly, my first few connections worked fine (unexpectedly good audio, both ways).  Being all happy and stuff, made a call to a client, to "show off".   Yep.  could not hear me.

Since then all calls have connected quickly, but are "receive only".  I've tried rebooting the asterisk box, changing "jitter" related stuff, no joy.

It is behind a firewall, but I can see no packets dropped, related to the IP's involved.

Anyway, if there are experiences to relate, please do.

joe a.