[asterisk-users] Pointers/suggestions?

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Fri Nov 10 07:21:45 MST 2006

Hi all,

[I'm new on this list.  On other lists, I cringe at this type of query
because they sometimes end up in flame-wars.  This is a serious request
because my time frame is about 2 months to identify, select, acquire,
install and setup our next PBX at a new office.  I really would like it
to be a VoIP solution.]

Our small real estate firm is experiencing explosive growth lately and
we've outgrown our Nortel ICS 4x12 PBX...  I don't like the telco options
and am VERY seriously considering VoIP.

My requirements are:
6-8 fxo
25-50 multi-line hard/soft-phones
mixed Windows/Linux office

Initially, I only need simple telephony features in a pseudo call center
where one/two agents are prime for answering calls from all fxo lines;
but any agent can pick up when things get hectic.  Lots of outgoing calls
over these same lines.  I also want to eventually integrate fax, e-mail,
etc...

My questions are:

- are there any GPL softphones that can handle 8 lines?
- which hardphone vendors to consider/avoid?

I've been thinking that the live server needs lots of PCI slots; but most
CPU motherboards with 5 slots are discontinued according to the
manufacturer links I follow from Tom's Hardware...  Or should I consider
multiple servers?

I have plenty of experience with IP networking (since '87) in all size
networks. My first IP net buildout ('87-'92) was a 300 router network,
and they got bigger when I moved to the US, so this part is the least of
my issues.

Of course, I'm probably forgetting something; so I'm interested in other
gotchas...

Thanks for any pointers,
Pierre