[asterisk-users] EuroISDN+ and Callers name

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Fri Nov 10 03:44:02 MST 2006

Am Freitag, den 10.11.2006, 11:21 +0100 schrieb Dave Cotton:
> I'm running chan_capi on a number of systems in France, France Telecom
> offer the possibility of having the caller's name, but say we must
> configure for EuroISDN+. Google doesn't show much and the best I could
> see was in Dutch.
>
> Any Europeans solved this one?

Dave,

I do not know about any similar "name transmit" service in Germany, but
obviously there is a possibility to transmit _alpha_numeric caller
information via ISDN.

I have a Fritz!Box 7050 with internal S0 connected as SIP-client to an
asterisk, with a Siemens Gigaset ISDN connected to the FritzBox. In this
setup, if I set CALLERID(num) to some string, all the letters and
several special cahracters can be transmitted (I wondered why my ISDN
display told me the callerid was "UNKNOWN", so I set it to an arbitrary
string and it worked). This is an out of the box ISDN phone, so it
probably is not in any way special.

I have no idea though wether Asterisk will understand incoming alpha
callerid, or wether mISDN/CAPI do. If you have a reliable online number
resolver (the german one is neither reliable nor fast), in your place I
would recommend using that. But of course, if you give the FT service a
try, please report back about your successes.

BR
Anselm