[asterisk-users] Re: Reg errors? Other anomalies? Check thosecapacitors!

Bruce Reeves asterisk at nortex-networks.com
Thu Nov 9 06:00:08 MST 2006

Several motherboard manufactures in the last 3-4 years have had capacitor
problems, some reached the point of leaking others began to cause problems
on the machine after they began to swell. Both Dell and IBM have replaced
systems I know of and had the onsite techs check for swollen or leaking
capacitors.

On 11/8/06, Steven <asterisk at tescogroup.com> wrote:

> Always take your wedding ring off when working inside the box!!
>
> --
> --
> Steven
>
> http://www.glimasoutheast.org
>

> "Doug Crompton" <doug at crompton.com> wrote in message news:
> Pine.LNX.4.33.0611081934080.15639-100000 at bridget.crompton.com...
> > The motherboard's capacitor? What is that? Since there are probably a
> > hundred or more caps on the MB, how did you determine that? Was it
> burned?
> > Other than that, without making either capacitance or noise tests I
> can't
> > imagine how you would make that assumption.
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Ronald Lewis wrote:
> >
> >> Three months ago, I was experiencing all sorts of issues with my
> Asterisk
> >> box maintaining a connection to multiple trunks, etc. I also
> experienced
> >> various timing issues as well. In addition, Asterisk would sometimes
> take
> >> almost a minute to fully load and register its SIP and IAX trunks.
> >>
> >> Puzzled, I recompiled several times. No result. I checked my hardware.
> >> Didn't find anything. However, I did overlook one thing:
> >>
> >> * The motherboard's capacitor!
> >>
> >> Yep, you guessed it! It was bad. Now, I do not have any problems (I
> didn't
> >> bother replacing the motherboard, ended up using a spare PC).
> >>

> > "Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety
> > deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

> > *  Doug Crompton    *
> > *  Richboro, PA 18954    *
> > *  215-431-6307    *
> > *      *