[asterisk-users] VLANs and Quality

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Wed Nov 8 09:07:02 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 10:15 -0500, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How much does configuring a network with VLANs improve or effect quality ?
>
> Is there much reason to justify the configuration of VLANs ( I know
> networking, but not VLANs at all)
>
> Would it not be better to find high traffic users and determine why?

That goes for any network ;-).

What you _really_ don't want is some guy uploading the lastest holiday
movie to your fileserver and bringing down your entire companies'
telephone system. However, you might care less about your fileserver
running slow during that time.

Or: someone plugs in a Apple Laptop with DHCP server enabled and your
phones suddenly all get new IP-Addresses.....

So, you essentially build 2 seperate networks with (almost) seperate
levels of bandwidth available.
I prefer to use a seperate switch(es) for phones than for data but
settle for vlans.
I might even use multiple vlans for phones and multiple vlans for data,
depending on topology and usage.

So I say: yes - there is reason for configuring vlans.

Conrad