[asterisk-users] Microsoft will enter VoIP market in earnestnextyear, says Ballmer

Gary G. Hendershot GHendershot at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 09:06:10 MST 2006

I took a look at this slide show and saw a lot that I like ... this level of
integration between voice and email has been along time coming and I think
it will eventually sell very well ...  my initial reaction is, I WANT IT NOW

we use an Exchange 2003 server in our own shop ...  I have for some time
considered moving to a Linux based platform for our Email as I believe it to
be less costly/complex to manage and maintain ... And I really do not like
the Active Directory model that Exchange relies on ... however, when this
level of functionality becomes available in Exchange, I will have something
new to consider in the equation ...

I am not a big fan of Exchange ... I have installed and supported this
system for many years and have developed something of a love/hate
relationship with it ...  however, if it becomes clear that I could only get
these features with Exchange, I would give serious consideration to buying
my Exchange server a box of candy and some flowers ...

the questions I would like to see answers to are these ...

where is the controlling interface for this integration ???  is it at the
mail server ???  is it at the voice server ???  is it at the web client ???
or is it a combination of all of the above ???  if you have limited
resources, where do you allocate them to most efficiently achieve the goal
???

is there a design concept that would permit this level of integration to be
implemented using my choice of email server and client in combination with
Asterisk ???  or am I doomed to maintaining a relationship with an 800
gorilla from Redmond ???  I would be very cautious about investing effort in
an implementation that was Microsoft specific as the Microsoft API's have a
history of being a moving target that only the chosen few can hit ...

I think that all the individual pieces of what I saw in this slide show are
available NOW as open source components ... it looks to me like the big
challenge here is integrating all the pieces so they all work together to
provide the desired functionality ... am I wrong about this analysis ???

G.Hendershot