[asterisk-users] Problem: 2 second silence at the beginning of most calls

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Tue Nov 7 05:42:23 MST 2006

I have the following setup in my test lab (which reflects very much my
production installation, just on a smaller scale)

Asterisk server ------------- Internet -------------- Home router (Linksys)
---------------Hub ----------------> Polycom 501 (Phone A)

|-------------------> Polycom 501 (Phone B)

All calls go through my asterisk server, even if its from one Polycom to the
other. If I dial from phone A to phone B, audio doesnt get passed for the
first 1-2 seconds.  I end up saying "hello? hello? hello?" and eventually I
heard something.  It makes for a bad user experience.

What can be the problem? I imagine the NAT isnt the problem, or there would
be no audio at all.  My Asterisk is running 1.2.4, and my Polycom phones at
running bootrom 3.2.2 and SIP 2.0.1 (fairly recent).

Mike